Saul Alinsky’s Rules for Radicals
“In the beginning the organizer’s first job is to create the issues or problems.”
― Saul D. Alinsky,
In any tactical scenario, knowing the opposition’s moves and methods beforehand gives an unprecedented advantage. The methods found in this simple playbook have been the hidden force behind Progressive Leftist politics and media for the last fifty years. Let’s take a look.
In 1971, a hard Left, Progressive community organizer named Saul D. Alinsky, wrote a playbook of subversive tactics to empower an upcoming generation of change agents. A few notable adherents to the Alinsky method are: Bill Ayers, Bernardine Dohrn, Bill and Hillary Clinton, Frank Marshall Davis and President Barack Obama.
Progressives exploit the weaknesses inherent in the system, made weaker by pitting opposing forces against one another. They also oppose independent, morally strong, educated people because those individuals, especially in groups, can’t be manipulated easily. They attempt to end-run constitutional rights with social contract and dialectic consensus methods. Alinskyites engage in large scale social engineering, attempting to unfreeze a society using chaos, and to then refreeze it in a new predefined shape. The dividing lines they polarize people on are most often racial, economic, religious, and political.
The main goal of Alinskyites is to cause social instability through subversive and divisive rhetoric. One method is to control the outcome of the education system by lowering the standards of education so that it creates a dependent class. As adherents to the Cloward-Piven strategy, they use their political platforms to overload a society with social spending programs and class warfare to the point that hatred and division cause social panic. Once they’ve created a problem, they propose themselves as the answer and use wealth transfers and the trumping of rights as the method to bring about “equality”.
The purpose of exposing the Alinsky method is to equip the next generation to identify and defeat these divisive tactics. Many people aren’t even aware that they are being manipulated; in essence weaponized against their fellow man. The next time a Progressive opens his or her mouth, be armed with this playbook so you can spot the tactics they employ and from whom the argument originates.
John Loeffler, host of the weekly Steel on Steel program, breaks down some of Alinsky’s most effective rules and how to defeat them.
John spends nearly an hour covering the Alinsky Method and common tactics of dialectic change agents and how to combat their arguments. This free sample comes from the weekly Steel on Steel show which you can listen to with your membership.
“Lest we forget at least an over-the-shoulder acknowledgment to the very first radical: from all our legends, mythology, and history (and who is to know where mythology leaves off and history begins — or which is which), the first radical known to man who rebelled against the establishment and did it so effectively that he at least won his own kingdom — Lucifer.”
― Saul D. Alinsky,
Alinsky’s 13 Rules for Radicals:
1. “Power is not only what you have, but what the enemy thinks you have.“ Power is derived from 2 main sources – money and people. “Have-Nots” must build power from flesh and blood.
2. “Never go outside the expertise of your people.“ It results in confusion, fear and retreat. Feeling secure adds to the backbone of anyone.
3. “Whenever possible, go outside the expertise of the enemy.“ Look for ways to increase insecurity, anxiety and uncertainty.
4. “Make the enemy live up to its own book of rules.“ If the rule is that every letter gets a reply, send 30,000 letters. You can kill them with this because no one can possibly obey all of their own rules.
5. “Ridicule is man’s most potent weapon.“ There is no defense. It’s irrational. It’s infuriating. It also works as a key pressure point to force the enemy into concessions.
6. “A good tactic is one your people enjoy.“ They’ll keep doing it without urging and come back to do more. They’re doing their thing, and will even suggest better ones.
7. “A tactic that drags on too long becomes a drag.“ Don’t become old news.
8. “Keep the pressure on. Never let up.“ Keep trying new things to keep the opposition off balance. As the opposition masters one approach, hit them from the flank with something new.
9. “The threat is usually more terrifying than the thing itself.“ Imagination and ego can dream up many more consequences than any activist.
10.“The major premise for tactics is the development of operations that will maintain a constant pressure upon the opposition.” It is this unceasing pressure that results in the reactions from the opposition that are essential for the success of the campaign.
11. “If you push a negative hard enough, it will push through and become a positive.“ Violence from the other side can win the public to your side because the public sympathizes with the underdog.
12. “The price of a successful attack is a constructive alternative.“ Never let the enemy score points because you’re caught without a solution to the problem.
13. “Pick the target, freeze it, personalize it, and polarize it.“ Cut off the support network and isolate the target from sympathy. Go after people and not institutions; people hurt faster than institutions.
Everybody has a worldview; it’s shaped by your values system and personal biases, education, religious beliefs, experiences, etc. Your individual worldview governs your daily thought processes and actions and will ultimately determine your place in life. Identify the moving parts of your worldview and gain insight to debate with those who hold opposing worldviews and discern the truth. Truth is that which pertains to reality. Reality is a great equalizer and when reality becomes real there’s no room for excuses.
Worldview Wars is a series of four lectures by veteran broadcaster, John Loeffler, detailing the competing worldviews of the 20th Century. Philosophers such as Rousseau, Hegel, Kierkegaard, Darwin, Nietzsche, Marx and Dewey have radically altered western culture and threatened to undermine traditional values. Total running time – 5 hours.
- Download one single 5 hour mp3 and four individual MP3 sessions for $6
- Get the MP3 Cd for $12
- Get them on a 4GB MP3 USB Drive for just $25
Want more? Listen to these full episodes on Change Agents and the Alinsky Method with your Premium Membership Click here to get a free month on us!
- 170013 04/01/2017 Attached by the Strings
- 170009 03/04/2017 The Wacky World of Judicial Activism
- 170008 02/25/2017 Double Your Standards, Double Your Fun
- 150050 12/12/2015 Change Agents
- 130037 09/14/2013 When Change Agents Come to Town
- 130033 08/17/2013 The Weather Underground and Change Agents
If you found this resource helpful, consider subscribing to listen to the weekly commentary and get access to our archives and lecture videos with your Premium membership. Basic subs start at just $10 a month. For a limited time, new subscribers can get a 30% discount on Premium subs with the PREM30 discount code. You can listen to the full 2+hour weekly show and full program archives spanning nearly 20 years, as well as access to the Veritas Lounge. Learn more.
Check out some of our other popular resources!
- Loeffler’s Library
- The Lexicon of Johnisms
- The Logical Fallacies Reference Guide
- The American Agenda Interactive Presentation by Curtis Bowers
- Preparing for the Underground Church by Richard Wurmbrand
- The Steel on Steel Media Store for DVDs Downloads and more!
Follow us on Twitter @steelonsteelpro as well as the Steel on Steel Facebook page and remember to join Praying for Persecuted Christians for the latest information concerning persecuted Christians around the world. Don’t forget to stop by our YouTube channel as well for our latest videos.